On an Ayurveda trail in MumbaiJan 04, 2015, 08:00 IST
Health: 10 amazing benefits of castor oil for skin and hairmid-day online correspondentMar 16, 2017, 20:18 IST
Are you planning to get bouncy hair and flawless skin the natural way? Are you a strict follower of home remedies for skin and hair treatments? If this is so, then you have a great product to treat your skin and hair ailments and get rewarded with healthy glowing skin and hair. The thick yellow readily available castor oil is that medicine that can treat your skin and problems in the most affordable and natural way. Here is why you should use the age old castor oil to get beautiful in a simple way.
Castor oil for hair:
1. Promotes hair growth: Castor oil is rich in Vitamin E, Omega-6 fatty acids, and proteins. Massage lukewarm castor oil on scalp and hair strands to enhance blood circulation in the scalp area and faster hair growth. For best results, mix castor oil with coconut oil, meethi seeds, and olive oil. Leave it overnight and apply the mixture twice a week to see the wonder. Proper application of castor oil also encourage new hair growth.
2. Fights scalp infection: Castor oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that treat several scalp infections including dandruff. Mix castor oil with olive oil and lemon juice and apply the mixture to treat dandruff. This simple homemade mask not only clears off dandruff, but also nourishes the hair, leaving it strong and healthy. Castor oil can also be applied on scalp to treat bald patches.
3. Gives shiny, thick healthy hair: Castor oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acid, which when massaged on the scalp and hair strands, moisturizes and conditions hair. Warm castor oil is in fact a natural conditioner that makes hair thick, soft, healthy, and shiny. It gives the required nourishment to your hair.
4. Prevents split ends: Apply castor oil on the ends of hair strands to get rid of split ends. It avoids dryness, breakage of strands, and leaves the ends soft yet strong. Before going for any chemical based ‘split-end remedies’, try this natural therapy at home.
5. Thickens eyebrows: Those who are fed up with thin scanty eyebrows, can go for a simple ‘castor oil’ therapy. Dip the tip of a cotton ear bud in castor oil and it gently and thoroughly over the eyebrow area. Regular application of castor oil on eyebrows overnight will make it dense and strong. You can then go for a usual threading.
Castor oil for skin
1. Soothes skin dryness: Castor oil’s Omega-6 fatty acid is the main ingredient for a soft and moisturized skin. Once the oil is applied on the skin, it penetrates deeply, thereby healing dry patches and hydrating the skin. As castor oil is thick, you can mix it with coconut oil before application. Leave the mixture for half an hour and rinse of thoroughly.
2. Fights wrinkles and anti-ageing marks: Castor oil is a natural remedy for wrinkles and anti-ageing symptoms. Application of castor oil stimulates production of collagen. It fades fine lines and wrinkles, and also delays the development of further wrinkles, pigmentation, and anti-ageing spots. It is also good to apply on under-eye area. After massaging the face with castor oil, dab cotton ball across the face to remove excess oil. With time, your skin will look soft and youthful.
3. Prevents stretch marks: Stretch marks are a common post pregnancy symptom. Application of castor oil at least twice a day during pregnancy prevents the development of stretch marks. It makes the skin elastic and hence lessens the chance of stretch marks formation. Castor oil can also be applied post pregnancy to cure stretch marks.
4. Heals cracked heels: Castor oil easily penetrates into the skin and is therefore, one of the best medicines for cracked heels. Massage the oil all over the heels and wear socks thereafter. Apply it regularly before going off to bed, and wake up to comparatively soft and crack-free heels next morning. Try this natural product before going for expensive foot creams.
5. Treats acne: Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which is an excellent medicine for acne. Wash your face with lukewarm water and apply the oil either with fingertips or with cotton buds. Leave it overnight and wash your face next day morning. Apply it at a stretch of one to two weeks to see the changes.
Produced from castor seeds, castor oil is a healthy oil, the application of which is believed to be an age-old therapy for thick shiny hair and young glowing skin. Apart from providing nourishment to skin and hair, castor oil is an excellent medicine for inflammation and connstipation.