Health: 10 foods to increase your good cholesterol level
Cholesterol is not always bad for health. Our body too has good cholesterol level, which is popularly known as High-density lipoprotein (HDL). For a healthy metabolism, we all want to keep the good cholesterol level intact and there are certain food items that give the good cholesterol level a boost. Here are 10 such foods that can raise your good cholesterol level and keep you away from heart diseases:
1. Olive oil: This edible oil is full of heart healthy fats. Use extra virgin olive oil for making salads, flavour foods, cooking meals and for sprinkling on soups and salads, to make the dishes more healthy and heart healthy.
2. Garlic: This is rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids, which lowers the level of bad cholesterol and raises the level of good cholesterol.
3. Fish: Salmon, mackerel, albacore tuna, sardines are rich in heart healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. One serving of such fatty fish every day raises HDL level and promotes healthy heart.
4. Nuts: Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios are rich in fibre that increases the good cholesterol production in the body.
5. Red wine: Moderate amount of red wine increases HDL levels and keeps the risk of heart diseases at bay. For a healthy cholesterol level, men can go for two glasses of red wine in a day and women can go for one glass in a day.
6. Oatmeal: A bowl of oatmeal along with assorted nuts is one of the best foods for a healthy heart. Oat cookies, conventional oatmeal or oats khichdi, all tend to promote good cholesterol.
7. Cranberry juice: A glass of cranberry juice increases HDL level and cut the risk of heart diseases by almost 40 percent.
8. Dark chocolate: Scientists have found that consuming 2.5 ounces of dark chocolate daily boost good cholesterol level and keep heart diseases at bay.
9. Beans: Different forms of beans like kidney beans, black beans are rich in soluble fibre. Baked beans or cooked beans can be consumed on a daily basis to fight bas cholesterol level.
10. Strawberries: The fruit is rich in antioxidants, which when included in daily diet results in a drop in LDL or bad cholesterol level.