• Mumbai: Baby delivered, but Kandivli woman dies after C-section

    Rupsa ChakrabortyMumbaiAug 09, 2017, 20:13 IST

    Reshma Allaudin with her husband and their three-year-old daughter

    When Reshma Allaudin went into the operation theatre to get an emergency caesarean on July 27, she couldn't wait to meet her little bundle of joy. But, she never even got a chance to see her baby. The 25-year-old Kandivli resident died yesterday, 13 days after she allegedly developed an adverse reaction to the anaesthesia administered during the surgery and was put on ventilator support.

    Allaudin visited Shatabdi Hospital in Kandivli for a routine prenatal check-up on July 27, but the doctor allegedly told her to undergo a C-section immediately. The family claimed no reason was given for the urgency.

    Also Read: RTI study reveals 150% rise in C-sections in Mumbai

    Surgery goes wrong
    The baby was delivered without complications, but the mother never regained consciousness. "She stopped responding after the surgery and had to be intubated," said Aman Farooki, 36, Allaudin's brother-in-law.

    Hospital authorities said she had had an adverse reaction to a drug administered during the surgery. High doses of anaesthesia can cause several fatal complications. On July 30, she was shifted to the BMC-run Nair Hospital, where she was put on life support ventilation. But she only got worse, and died on Tuesday morning.

    The family has filed a complaint at Kurar police station, charging Shatabdi Hospital with negligence. It has furnished a letter from Dr Ramesh Bharmal, dean of Nair Hospital, as proof of its allegation. The letter states: "The patients' relatives have been informed some reaction of drugs given during anaesthesia, patient intubated (sic)."

    Reshma's second-born

    Guarded response
    Sarala Thorat, investigating officer from Kurar police station, refused to comment on the case. Dr Pradeep Jadhav, in charge of all BMC-run peripheral hospitals, said last night that he hadn't received any complaint of death caused by negligence. "Until I get the documents, I won't be able to comment on the matter."

    Dr Bharmal, too, was tight-lipped. "A postmortem will be conducted today that will give a clearer picture. We will submit the postmortem examination report to the police. I can't say anything more than that," he said.

    The family also claimed that the hospital authorities skipped the pre-surgery protocol of getting a letter of consent. But after Allaudin's condition began to worsen, they allegedly badgered to sign the letter.

    Read Full Article

    Trending Videos

    Watch Video: Youngsters fall to their death at Amboli Ghat


    Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go https://goo.gl/8Xlcvr