World Health Day: 10 foods that can combat depression
Depression happens to be one of the major causes of poor mental health. On World Health Day, let us take a look at top 10 foods that can combat depression and boost mental health
In this rat race, depression happens to be one of the major causes behind poor mental health, which also affects physical wellbeing due to lack of proper food and sleep. Presenting a list of 10 foods that can aid those suffering from the disorder, reach a better state of mind.
1. Berries: All forms of berries like blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, strawberries, and blackberries are high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, two powerful agents that help combat stress and depression. Handful of berries if consumed on regular basis, especially during breakfast yeilds positive health results.
2. Apples: An apple a day can keep a psychiatrist away. Apples are packed with high soluble fibre and antioxidants that balances blood sugar level and repairs inflammation of cells.
3. Walnuts: One of richest plant based sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, walnuts support brain health and lessen symptoms of depression. Polyphenols in walnuts prevent memory loss and signs of brain ageing.
4. Fatty fish: Mackerel, bluefish, salmon, and tuna are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and several brain boosting agents that combat depression and reduce stress level.
5. Whole grains: Oatmeal, oat cookies, whole wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, brown rice, and barley are some forms of whole grain food items that are packed with fibre and good carbohydrates. The components in whole grain meals help fight sadness and depression, and make one feel good at the same time.
6. Dark chocolate: Chocolate is known to be a great stress buster, and dark chocolate is simply an icing on the cake. Dark chocolate lowers blood pressure level, reduces depressive symptoms and promotes the ‘feel good’ factor.
7. Mushrooms: The chemical component in this plant lowers blood sugar levels and controls mood swings. Delicious dishes made of mushrooms are tasty to eat and good to boost mental health.
8. Eggs: This happy food is a great source to start a day. Eggs can be consumed in the form of omelette, boiled eggs, sunshine, and scrambled eggs. Eggs are rich in zinc, Vitamin B, Omega 3 acids and proteins, that provide the body with ample energy and keeps one happy and healthy throughout the day.
9. Cheese: The tempting look and delicious taste of cheese can easily boost one’s mood and relieve him from depressive symptoms. Low fat cheese and other low fat dairy products like skimmed milk and yogurt contain Vitamin D and protein, which benefits the overall body functioning including mental health.
10. Coconut: Rich in saturated fats, coconut is an excellent food item that aid people suffering from stress and depression. Coconut can be eaten in the form of coconut cakes, coconut cookies, coconut oil, diced coconut, and coconut smoothies. It is fun and healthy to include coconut in regular diet.
Go happy with these happy foods and ditch depression for one last time.